Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Changes

I've made a decision:  I'm not a vegetarian anymore.

In truth, after almost exactly seven years, I haven't been a vegetarian for awhile now, nipping some chicken here, eating fish there.  But in my mind, I always reverted to vegetarianism.

But I've decided to give up the label and just focus on good food for all of us.

Which is to say, I'm not running out for a McDonald's burger or a hot dog.  In fact, I don't imagine I'll add that much meat to my diet.  And when I do, it will be pasture-raised, free-range, organic when possible, "happy" meat.  (And still no veal, or lamb, or rabbit.)

But I've been overwhelmed with trying to feed two totally different audiences:  me, the vegetarian, and everyone else, the omnivores.  In the end, I made a lot of mediocre meals that satisfied none of us fully.

And so, a new chapter.

We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Perceived wisdom is that red meat is a killer by cancer, which cannot be true or there would be no men over 50 in Texas, common sense suggests 2 or 3 times a week, preferably white rather than red. During WW2 we as a nation were limited to about 3 slices of red meat per week plus 1 rasher of bacon. My opinion is that my generation is tolerably health and aged because our food intake 1940-1946 was seriouly restricted. Give them a treat once in a while. I had a hearing test 20 years ago, 'You are a bit deaf, tough luck'. It has probably got worse and I also miss the high notes but again ,tough luck', as long as you can hear sweet nothings what else matters?

    ReplyDelete