Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My Tea Party

I overstuffed my Victoria Sponge, but it's delicious.  And no one at my pre-Mother's Day tea party today seemed to mind!  No one else had tea, either; they're all coffee drinkers!  But I knew that and was prepared.  We're a casual group and it was a relaxed affair, despite the name, just a chance for old playgroup friends to get together to catch up.  I love how we can connect even if it's been awhile.  And we've been doing it for almost nine years!  I am grateful for my mommy friends (both those who came and those who couldn't.)


Victoria Sponge/Sandwich a la Tea & Sympathy

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (softened)
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
a few drops of vanilla extract
2 cups sifted flour (or 2 cups minus 2 Tablespoons flour)
1 heaping teaspoonful baking powder

Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease and flour two 8" round pans (I greased, put down parchment rounds, and greased and floured.)  Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately two minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Add vanilla.  Stir in flour and baking soda and stir til smooth.  Divide batter into two prepared pans.  Bake 20-25, until cake tester comes out clean.   Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.

Filling:
heavy whipping cream
strawberry jam
fresh strawberries, sliced or diced

Spread jam on one cake round.  Distribute cut-up strawberries.  Whip heavy cream until thick and spread on top of jam level.  Place second cake round on top.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Serve.  (I overstuffed my sponge--it should be a reserved thin layer, but, well, no.)

adapted from Anita Naughton and Nicola Perry, Tea and Sympathy:  The Life of an English Teashop in New York

No comments:

Post a Comment