Friday, January 10, 2014

(I Can't Think of a Proper Austenian Title Here)

It's practically a Pride and Prejudice marathon over here.

Except none of it's the original Jane Austen book.

It started when I first visited our town's Little Library, a drop point where we can take and leave books to share.  And I came across P.D. James's Death Comes to Pemberley on the very day that my friend Lambeth emailed me about it.

Now, I haven't started reading it, but I am reading Longbourn, Jo Baker's marvelous servants' version of the events of the novel.  It's Dickensian narrative with Austenian trappings--and I'm loving it.

Meanwhile, I can't believe it, but Mama is listening to the audiobook of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies!  And she can't stop laughing about it.

Plus, inspired by a FB post of an old high school buddy showing the "No Life  . . . Without Wife" song from Bride and Prejudice, I rewatched that Bollywood-esque musical of the novel, which I've always enjoyed.

Which means now, of course, I mush rewatch Colin Firth in the classic.

And maybe even later Greer Garson and Lawrence Olivier.

Oh, and yeah, the actual original novel is on my reading list, too.

1 comment:

  1. Loved Pride and Prejudice! Is mama laughing because it's genuinely funny or because it's ridiculous? I've had the book on my to read list for a long time and Im wondering if I shouldn't bother.

    ReplyDelete